I’m excited to participate in the Border Quilt Quilt-Along! Jen of Patterns by Jen designed a beautiful quilt using Enchanted Forest flannels from Northcott, but I opted to shop my stash for a scrappy monochromatic quilt. Have you purchased the pattern and picked your fabrics? I hope so, because today’s the day we start sewing!
You choose how many borders you wish to add based on the size of the quilt you decide to make. I’ve decided to add ALL the borders and make the largest size (86″ x 92″). I may have to dig further into my stash, but that’s fine. I have PLENTY of fabric available. Did you read the post about my fabric choices? I had planned to use a light blue Kona for the background, but I’ve since changed to a white Grunge.
Jen has two options for the center, and since I’m going MAXIMUM SCRAPPY, the obvious choice for me was to piece it. I picked scraps from my storage bags (sorted by value) that were large enough for this step. Fortunately, there was enough space on the portable design wall (that Very Good Husband gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago) that I didn’t have to clear any space to check that the layout was balanced.
The center was super easy to sew and a great way to start a project, since you feel like you’ve accomplished a lot in a short time.
Turning the block on point and trimming it down left me with some big triangles that I’ve set aside for some future use. They’re just too darn pretty to waste. I love how the center block turned out.
Make sure you have any tools ready for making lots of half-square triangles and flying geese. Jen recommends the Tucker Trimmer I and the Wing Clipper I. I haven’t tried the Tucker Trimmer (I use Bloc-Loc), but I do have the Wing Clipper and love it.
I decided to go ahead and start prepping all of the background borders ahead of time. The Stripology ruler is extremely helpful here. First, I calculated the total length I’ll need for each width of background border. I think this will save just a little bit of fabric in the long run, which is good since I was cutting it really close with the yardage I had on hand (once again, from the stash). I cut the white Grunge background into the correct widths and just stitched them all end-to-end. Then I cut the borders and labeled them so I don’t have to measure to figure out which piece I need next.