I don’t know about you, but I’ve enjoyed seeing all of the sewing machines popping up in the Partners in Design Facebook group to kick off Sew Let’s Quilt Along. And now it’s time for the second-most-important tool in my sewing arsenal: COFFEE. April of JANDA Bend Quilts designed a nice big mug that you can customize to suit your own tastes.
Now that we have the big sewing machine block done, all of the rest of the blocks in Sew Let’s Quilt Along will measure 12″ x 12″.
This block went together quickly! April’s directions are spot-on. I decided to assemble the whole thing before adding my own personal touch to the mug. My current printer doesn’t particularly like it when I run fabric through it, and my embroidery skills are subpar, so I considered appliqué or machine stitching before coming up with another option.
I asked April if she minded if I tried using transfer paper to put my logo on the mug, and she said to go right ahead. First I used a photo-editing program to reduce the size of the logo and reverse the image (I, uh, forgot to do that the first time, but the page had room to print the backwards one). I chose to use the same fabric that the mug is made of, but using the back to give the colors of the logo a little more contrast. Avery T-shirt transfer paper is easy to find in the office supply section at big box stores, or you can order it here.
I trimmed the logo down with a rotary cutter, then used a quilting ruler to ensure that it was centered properly before ironing the transfer in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. Ta-da!
We’ll see how well the transfer holds up to machine stitching when it’s time to quilt it. Fingers crossed!
- Download this handy checklist to keep track of your progress if you haven’t already.
- Bookmark this page with all of the links to all of the blog hosts.
- Visit JANDA Bend Quilts to download your pattern (it’s guaranteed to remain free throughout the duration of this quilt along).
- Check out all of the hosts’ versions of the sewing machine block for inspiration and tips.
- Gather your supplies and start sewing!
Segment One Hosts
Abbie of Sparkle On!
April of JANDA Bend Quilts
Becca of Pretty Piney Quilts (that’s me!)
Bobbi of Snowy Days Quilting
Karen of Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, & Eats
Kathleen of Kathleen McMusing
Sandra of Sandra Healy Designs
Sandy of SandyStar Designs
Sherry of Powered by Quilting
How to Enter the Prize Drawing
Hold your horses! Remember, this time around the prize drawings are held after each segment instead of after each block. Here’s a refresher about how it all works:
We’ve divided the quilt-along into three segments, with prizes at the end of each segment (plus the grand prize at the end of the whole thing). Because oh yes, there are prizes! Before the end of each segment, make all of the designers’ blocks in that segment and share either one photo of the blocks together or one photo of each block, but all posted at the same time in one location (all in one Facebook post, or all in one Instagram post, or all in one blog post). Here are the three ways you can enter:
- Join the Partners in Designs Facebook group and post your entry there.
- Post your entry on Instagram with the hashtag #SewLetsQAL.
- Link up to a linky party that will appear at the end of each segment on the segment hosts’ blogs. (It’s the same linky party on every participating blog, so you only need to link up ONCE.)
The Prize Drawing for Segment One: May 21, 2019
Segment One entries open on May 7, 2019 (midnight Eastern time) and close on May 20, 2019 (11:59 pm Eastern). Here’s what you could win if you make all of the Segment One blocks (#1-#5):
- Large Folding Cutting Kit from Omnigrid® (a Prym Company) – includes an 18 x 24″ folding cutting mat, a 45 mm rotary cutter, and a 3” x 18” Omnigrip ruler
- Timeless Treasures Tonga Treat Strip Jr. “Orchid” -20 pc 2 1/2″ strip pack
- Two Shabby Fabrics Vintage Blessings printed table runner patterns and a packet of Sunflower laser-cut appliqués (small.)
- One PDF pattern from Sandra Healy Designs
- One PDF pattern from JANDA Bend Quilts
- One PDF pattern from Powered by Quilting (up to $10 value)