Exciting times are upon us, kids, because I’m one of the hosts of a new quilt-a-long! Will you join in? I’m sure you have some questions, like:
What’s a quilt-a-long?
A quilt along (or quilt-a-long, or QAL) is a quilt you make by following along with a host who posts each step on a schedule. You share your progress as you go, and in this case, you get entered for prizes. Some QALs (like this one) are “mystery” quilts, and you won’t know what the finished quilt looks like until the end of it. This QAL is completely free to enter.
Why would I want to do that?
- You want to make a Christmas quilt.
- You love to try new things, especially with support and assistance from the quilting community. Every block was created by a different designer, and they use a variety of techniques.
- You love to get to know new quilters/designers/bloggers. With so many ways to quilt along, you’re bound to find some terrific new friends.
- You like to win prizes. If you complete the block before the next pattern release, then you will be entered to win a prize. There are bi-weekly prizes and a grand prize, too.
- You’re just really cool.
How can I participate?
There are several ways of joining the fun!
- Join the I Wish You a Merry Quilt-A-Long Facebook Group (if you’re on Facebook). Designers will post links to the tutorials there, so that is your best way to not miss a single post. You can also ask questions and post pictures of your blocks as you complete them to be entered to win the prizes.
- If you’re on Instagram, use the hashtag #iwishyouamerryqal to be entered to win. Be sure to check out all the
- Each designer will have a linky party on their block tutorial post so you can link your progress to their blog and enter the giveaway.
What skills do I need to make these blocks?
Techniques used in the blocks range from pieced blocks to appliqué to foundation paper piecing to a little bit of embroidery. Hosts and designers will give you tips on their blog posts, and you can always ask for assistance from them on their blogs, in the Facebook group, or even on Instagram. Don’t worry; we’re here to help. And don’t forget, you don’t have to make every block. You just won’t be entered for a prize in that round.
How much fabric will I need?
Well, it depends! There will be a total of twelve 12″ (finished) blocks from 12 different designers. For the blocks, I chose six fabrics from my stash that I have at least a yard of, and I’ll supplement with fat quarters or scraps of other fabrics as needed.Plus, Laura from Slice of Pi Quilts says, “If you plan to put your blocks together to make a quilt top, then I suggest 1 yard for sashing and 1 yard for a border. To finish the quilt, you will need 4 yards for backing (or 2 yards of extra-wide backing), a twin size batting, and 1/2 yard for binding.”
When will the blocks be posted?
The QAL starts August 1, 2017. Every other Tuesday, a new free 12″ (finished) quilt block pattern and tutorial will be released. A couple of dates have two block releases (8/29 and 10/10) so you can get them all done before Christmas. The last tutorial will be posted on December 5, 2017. Since it’s a mystery quilt, you won’t know what to expect until each block tutorial’s release date!
What are the prizes?
We’ve line up plenty of prizes, and the list isn’t finalized yet. It’s best to keep an eye on the Facebook group, as we will begin sharing the prizes there soon. Prizes include patterns, batting and other products from The Warm Co., thread from Aurifil, a gift certificate to The Fat Quarter Shop, signed quilt books, precuts, and much more. International participants are eligible to enter for all prizes.
You talked me into it! What next?
Hooray! First, join the Facebook group so you’ll know when each block is released. Second, gather the fabrics you might want to use for your quilt. The quilt-a-long starts August 1, 2017. Finally, invite your friends! Share the quilt-a-long graphic on Instagram and use #iwishyouamerryqal. Share this blog post or a post from the Facebook group on your own Facebook account and in your quilty groups. The more, the merrier!
Who’s running this thing, anyway?
All the bloggers who are participating in the QAL met through the 2017 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop.
Some of us will be sewing along and making every block, too. These quilt-a-long hosts will share tips and tricks for each block, plus you’ll get to see the same block in many different fabrics. Hosts will be there every step of the way to encourage you to finish the quilt.
Abbie at Sparkle On (Host)
April at JANDA Bend Quilts (Host + Block 2 Designer)
Becca at Pretty Piney (Host — YAY! That’s me!)
Bobbi at Snowy Days Quilting (Host + Block 9 Designer)
Diane at Cwilt Fabrics & Haberdashery (Host + Block 10 Designer)
Jennifer at The Inquiring Quilter (Host + Block 4 Designer)
Karen at Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats (Host)
Kathleen at Kathleen McMusing (Block 11 Designer)
Laura at Slice of Pi Quilts (Host + Blocks 3 & 12 Designer)
Sandra at Sandra Healy Designs (Block 6 Designer)
Sandy at Sandy Star Designs (Host + Block 7 Designer)
Sherry at Powered by Quilting (Host + Block 5 Designer)
Sola at Alice Samuel’s Quilt Co. (Block 8 Designer)
Vanda at Quilt in Piece (Host + Block 1 Designer)
I hope you’ll quilt along with us! Can we count you in?